I am on the west coast this week, which means my sleep is all over the place so I am up at 3 am and guess what’s on today, November 8th ??
BLECHHHHHH. Just over it.
I am a big proponent of quit your bitchin and help solve the problem. So I got to thinking- if I don’t like it, what would I do to fix it. Well, this past weekend I had the privilege of going to the beach for a friends 40th birthday weekend. And I want to clarify it is a privilege to have wonderful friends in your life, a privilege to know people who have second homes on the beach and a privilege to spend a weekend where you are required to do absolutely nothing except have a good time and there are no children to take care of….well, except that one friend, but usually by our age, everyone at least makes it to a bed after the party.
I was reminded that two things happen when you provide a beautiful view of the beach/marsh on a crisp fall morning and then watch the sunset on a dock or porch-
- The coffee and the cocktails taste better.
- The conversation is real.
**You are #winning if this happens in a hammock with a water view.
It is something about the beauty and quiet around you that just takes away all the bullshit and you just can’t help but talk about what is most important.
So here is what was covered this past weekend during coffee and cocktails:
- Kids. Luckily everyone I was with loves their kids, are proud of them, but we all have no problem highlighting our consistent parenting fails and sharing ideas for solving other’s (i.e. mine) potty training problems.
- People over 40 cannot party like they used to.
- Puzzling is a sign of extremely high intellect. (this was not really a discussion, but a personal validation)
- Consensus from everyone that napping, exercise or multiple vodka drinks- or all 3 in various orders are the solution to most issues.
- What are we going to tell our kids about this election?
- Do you vote from a fiscal perspective or a social perspective?
- Is there anyone at this whole party that knows how to “work The Snapchat thing”?
- Lots of Whole 30 conversations while eating cheese and wheat thins. And lots of people deciding not to do it.
- Agreement that the roasted oysters, a cold beer, music and conversation is so awesome you could stand around and eat oysters for hours.
- Women of a certain age should not jump on trampolines, especially if you have had children.
So the above are not full policy statements or an economic development plan per se, but you know what? There were no suit and ties (and possibly not a lot of bathing), no flags, no insults and no lies and this was definitely a group that had it fair share of folks from both sides of the aisle and we came together and hugged it out.
Based on this extensive research, I am proposing that next presidential campaign season be shortened to a weekend and the ONE debate should take place at an oyster roast on a fall day on the coast of South Carolina. Because whether you are “with her” or are in the “basket of deplorables” , after a few hugs from good friends, a cold beer and a steamed oyster with cocktail sauce on a good ol’ saltine cracker….you will be much more interested in yelling “Roll Tide” or “Go DAWGS!” than anything else.
One caveat here is for CAVE people. A term I was just reminded of by a friend at work. CAVE people are Citizens Against Virtually Everything:-) And you find these people in your personal and professional life- my advice here is to be realistic as to if you could move them over to the glass is half full and then if not, just feel sorry for them and kill them with kindness- I mean what a horrible way to live!!
Sharing some election humor. I love Will Ferrell.